Friday 16 March 2012

Lots of walking

It's been a while since I posted. We've been out and about a lot this week. There's been lots of outside time interspersed with phonics (I'm really pleased with how Lamb is getting on now that we've switched to analytic phonics rather than synthetic phonics). This is the RSPB walk we went on along the river.
Love Moo's face on this picture. He really wasn't sure of himself at the beginning of the walk with all those strangers! Lamb though was in his element - he's a very social creature.

Both boys behaved themselves beautifully. We started off in town and walked all the way out to the nature reserve. They walked about 5 miles and didn't complain once. I couldn't believe how much energy they had!
We saw some Muntjac deer and some Grey Wagtails, but not much else. We had so much fun though, and I learnt quite a lot (even if the boys weren't really listening!). I now know the best place to go watching for the otters and will be doing so at the first opportunity!

Most of the group really took to the kids. I guess it was out of the usual for kids to join them on these walks. Before we left the group leader gave them both some magnifying glasses to take home and showed them how to use them properly. Moo LOVED his and insisted on inspecting every blade of grass there after.

Lamb, independent as ever, was often in the lead.

Here apparently is the best place to see grass snakes sunbathing.


The day before we had covered some of this ground along the river already.
The water is very low at the moment, though I'm not sure if this is normal for this time of the year.

Lamb quietly inspecting the map while I'm trying to watch a Thrush in the bushes.

This was the first day I had let the boys loose with the binoculars. Having just the one pair led to a fair few arguments. I'm not sure how well they were managing to focus the lenses but they were thoroughly enjoying themselves.

It's pretty difficult to separate Moo from his 'explorer books' at the moment, especially when we're out on walks. A naturalist in the making I wonder?

No comments: